Wednesday, February 24, 2016

I Asked February

I Asked February

........
I asked February, why take a color designation? 
And it replied: So I could de-color the rest and mine,  
Still curious, I remained;  
Thus, the month whispered:
History has optical distortion faculty, 
Where colors are kept in captivity, 
Deprived of their inherent veracity;
Through a collective myth levying visual sanction,
Forcing each hue and diction into a one-eyed vision;
and lamenting: 
The journey from cotton-to-gold-to-steel,
Was a white-hued burden, 
No red –black- brown in between;
And this, history does so, 
Eclipsing the times of creation of colors: 
When cotton needed soaking in red to became white,
And white needed baptism in black to become golden; 
And golden needed stolen sweat to harden into steel;   
Giving birth to a lavish great dream;
Espoused in the plantation spirituals,
And the slave auction stall vile transactions, 
The agony engine of the industrial revolution;
Mixed in rhyme’, 
Out of many one - E-Pluribus Unum,
Warranted me in shame. 
....................................................
For Black History  


No comments: